Thursday, February 05, 2009

14 Days To Love - Day 5: One Great Love

After a few minutes, he walked out of the bridge. Enough. He had done what he came to do, to reaffirm what his memories told him. To stand in Francesca’s space once more, to see if his feelings were still as strong as they were. And they were. One great love in a single lifetime was enough for anyone. Francesca has been his great love, and still was. And he had come to say goodbye. He slapped the side of the old bridge and began walking with a lighter step than he had known for some time.

A Thousand Country Road by Robert James Waller

--------

I love the irony in this one - recognizing your one great love and subsequently saying goodbye. I was once told that in one person’s life, there is one great love but it is not necessarily the one that they’re with. I’ve been wondering ever since and I still haven’t found an answer to my question – why can’t our one great love and the person we are with be the same person? I guess if you’re really lucky they can be one and the same but if you’re not that lucky, be thankful still, at least you’ve experienced love twice. Some people aren’t even fortunate enough to experience it once.

0 comments: