Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sisters

A few days ago, an officemate mentioned of how much she misses her older sister who is in the US. It was her sister's birthday and they were exchanging messages. Although she was smiling because of the things that her sister told her, we noticed that she was teary eyed and she told us that she just really misses her sister. While walking home towards the MRT station I was recalling the events of the day and I realized how much I miss my sister too.

You see, she got married early and she now lives away from us. Though it's only a few minutes ride from our own house, still it's not the same. Of course, our relationship is not a smooth one, we've had our share of fights and arguments but of all my sisters, she's the one that I consider my best friend. We used to do a lot of things together - talk, see a movie, shop, argue (with and for each other), and I thought that when we start working, we'd be able to do more things together. But as they say, things don't always turn out the way you plan it. She got married and had her own family and naturally, that's her priority now. Would you believe, that when she told us that she was getting married, I was the first one to cry? I didn't even see my parents cry, even my mother (although she might have done it privately).

To be honest, I feel cheated sometimes. Sometimes, i'd think of all the things we could have done, places we could have gone to, experiences we could have shared. Not only that, I also sometimes feel that she lost so many opportunities to have a better life. She's smart, she's talented, she could have succeeded in her chosen field had her choices been different. But then again, maybe this was really what God has planned for her. And I can see that, even though life is hard, she's happy. She's got two beautiful kids, who i'm really fond of, and okay, a pretty good husband (i'm biased, I really don't like him that much), and I really think that she's happy. And in the end, that's all that really matters.

0 comments: