Thursday, March 08, 2007

Happiness

You know some kids ask us what happiness really is.
Well, to me happiness is a hamburger, going to the movies, new clothes.
Well, what's your happiness?

My happiness is a hotdog sandwich, new rubber shoes, new t-shirts,
New jeans and also my favorite part of happiness is love

Happiness is two kinds of ice cream
Finding your skate key, telling the time
Happiness is learning to whistle
Tying your shoe for the very first time
Happiness is playing the drum in your own school band
And happiness is walking hand in hand
Happiness is five different crayons
Knowing a secret, climbing a tree
Happiness is finding a nickel
Catching a firefly, setting him free
Happiness is being alone every now and then
And happiness is coming home again

Happiness is morning and evening

Daytime and nighttime, too

For happiness is anyone and anything at all
That's loved by you

Happiness is having a sister

Sharing a sandwich

Getting along
Happiness is singing together when day is through
And happiness is those who sing with you

Happiness is morning and evening
Daytime and nighttime, too
For happiness is anyone and anything at all
That's loved by you

- Lea and Gerald Salonga


Aaah, happiness. That msyterious and elusive thing called happiness.

I have a friend who finds happiness in the simplest things. Like a dream where she played a superhero and fought the bad guys. Or receiving a gift of danggit. Or receiving a text message from an absentee friend. Things that when you look at it may seem absurd or childish, but they make her happy and will make her send an email to us saying how happy this or that made her. And you could really feel how happy she is, like she's talking in front of you and not from hundred of miles away! At times I laugh, as in really laugh and think of how childish my friend is but in truth, I envy her.

It seems to me that the things I require myself to obtain happiness are so complex when it could all really be so simple. It's like I have a set of standards that I have to meet in order for me to be happy when in truth there really should not be any rules. Sometimes I ask myself why i'm finding it so hard to be happy, it's like i'm Ally McBeal personified. There are even times when I wouldn't want to go out with my friends for fear of rubbing my unhappiness to them and yet I know that being with them somehow lessens the shadows around my mind and heart.

I just wish that there'll come a time when all you'll read from my blog are happy stories instead of entries like this. And I wish that one day i'd find what it is that'll truly make me happy. That thing or circumstance that'll make me feel the kind of happiness that comes from the heart and not from the mind.

And I wish that i'll find them soon.

0 comments: