Monday, March 17, 2008

The best of both worlds

Finally, I’ve convinced myself to read books other than romance novels. Look how I’ve grown: I’ve read the Harry Potter series, I’ve read some stories about the English royalties (the real ones), I have a couple of Shakespeare plays sitting on my shelf waiting to be read (they’ve only been there for a couple of weeks), I also have a book of short stories, several classic novels are also in the line-up, and I’m currently reading James Patterson.

Of course, I still love romance novels but it gets tiring sometimes. Reading about happy-ever-afters tends to be nauseating when you’ve had too much of it. Besides, I have to experience other feelings too, like fear, anger, hurt, wonder, awe, because in real life things aren’t as rosy as those in romance novels. And I’m discovering how much fun it is to widen the scope of the topics that I’m reading. It’s nice to get absorbed into different sets of reality. It’s exciting to play Quidditch with Harry and Lord Voldemort really scares me, I also think of how fascinating it would be to stay at Hogwarts. I also find King Henry VIII and his wives quite interesting, I wonder what drove them to do the things that history says they did. I also can’t wait of what Shakespeare and Alice Hoffman has in store for me. And lately, I’ve been losing so much sleep because of James Patterson for the simple reason that I don’t want to put down his book until after I’ve finished it because even then I would still lose sleep thinking what will happen next!

I really love to read. Reading is like stepping into an entirely different world from the one where I’m currently living and it helps. It helps to take away or at least lessen the stress or pain that I feel living in the real world. It gives me joy and some sense of peace whenever I’ve finished a book. Each purchase, each visit to a bookstore, it gives me comfort. And the things I learn in those books, they guide and help me on how I deal with the real world thus making it easier for me to cope with each changes, trials, joy, and happiness that happens to me and the world around me.

But still no matter how much I love reading and being a part of different adventures, I still wouldn’t exchange my other world which despite of all the pain and heartaches and failures and pain is still more exciting, fascinating and wonderful and filled with people who paints my life with really bright colors.

0 comments: