Friday, September 29, 2006

Ms. High-and-Mighty Strikes Again

The world really is full of hypocrites.

I came across this blog of a former officemate, who I unfortunately had befriended in the past. She’s written some things there that makes me and my friends seems so shallow and superficial who has nothing on their minds other than the latest TV shows, books, fashion, and other petty stuffs. And she’s also written there that conflicts arose because of our differences in faith.

Before, I can’t really relate to what my other friends are telling me about their dealings with her. And I can’t fully understand how something that she would say or do affect them. But now, God, now I understand what they were saying.

I don’t know why but what she said and implied really affected me. It really made me mad. And I can’t understand why because she’s not even a friend! It could be because for a while there, she made me doubt myself. She made me think if I really am what she’s implying I am. But as one friend has put it, we shouldn’t let others affect how we see ourselves because it won’t really give us a clear perspective of who really are. Or it could also be because, again, for the nth time, she used our differences in faith to explain why we can’t seem to get along.

But I guess what really pissed me off is how she conveniently placed the entire blame on us. As if she really did nothing wrong to make us behave that way towards her. I’ll ask you, if your once friendly relationship with several persons, mind not one but several, suddenly turned cold, wouldn’t it make you wonder if something is wrong? And wouldn’t you even try to find out what’s wrong? As you could guess, Ms. High-and-Mighty did not do any of those things. Instead she used her usual defense, and blamed it all on our differences in faith. And I’m saying that’s bullshit. I’ve got other friends who are in different religions than mine, and we’re doing just fine.

Had she asked us why our behavior towards her suddenly changed, she would have found out what our problems are about her and we could have discussed it and eventually things could have gone back to the way they used to be between us. Or even if they haven’t, we could have parted ways more nicely. Instead of us praising and thanking the heavens above when her last day arrived. I’m not saying that we don’t also have our own share of faults in what happened between us, all I’m saying is that she could have taken some of the blame and not placing it entirely on our shoulders as if she’s all good and we’re all evil.

You may hear me talk only talk about TV shows, or magazines, or books, shopping, and other petty stuffs, but that doesn’t make me superficial. You only hear me talk about those things because I don’t consider you special. You are of no importance to me that’s why I don’t share my more personal thoughts to you and I don’t go blurting out my life story to just anybody.

I may not listen to church songs in my MP3, attend bible studies, read the bible during breaks, but at least I’m not one of those people who doesn’t practice what they preach or who seems to be so religious but who doesn’t know how to properly treat other people.

I at least am not a hypocrite.

0 comments: